Time has a way of slipping away from us. One moment we’re in the prime of life and the next planning for our retirement. Life is everything that happens along the way. Far too many people wander through life without a plan.
They feel lost and at the mercy of the tides of society, pulled from one meaningless job to the next. If you’re ready to take life by the horns and be the best you, then the first step is goal setting. It’s the basis for the changes you make in your life, but what goals should you make, what’s realistic and what isn’t.
We created this guide to help you understand the importance of goal setting and how it can set you on the path to success. It won’t be easy but changing your life for the better isn’t supposed to be.
What is Goal Setting?
A goal is an objective. It’s something you want to achieve that creates a beneficial change in your life. It can be as simple as waking up an hour earlier each morning to exercise or as complex as saving money for a home or getting your dream job.
The concept of goal setting is the process you take to achieve those goals by creating a process made up of numerous steps. Creating steps makes the goals seem easier to achieve since you can check off the steps as you go. Imagine the feeling as you reach the quarter, halfway, and finally, reach your goal.
There is no feeling like that in the world and it only gets better from there.
Goal setting is about motivation. There is a reason why some people are better at achieving goals than others. They can set reasonable goals and create steps that help motivate them to that goal. If you want to change, then you must be motivated to achieve it.
How to Set Your Goals
Personal development is a high priority for many people. We all want to be our best selves, but there are obstacles in our way. It could be something personal like a lack of drive or motivation to make the changes we need. It could be you’re in a job you don’t like and want to change to something different. It could be traveling the world or taking more vacations, but you lack the money.
The first step is to understand what your goals are. A goal can be lofty, but it can’t be impossible. Your goal can be a stepping stone to another goal but start with reasonable and attainable goals. The more difficult and valuable the goal, the harder you need to work to attain it.
That also means you feel more success once you attain that goal. Ask yourself what you really want out of life and determine what you need to do to make these goals a reality.
Principles of Successful Goal Setting
Goal setting isn’t an easy process. If done incorrectly, then it can be demotivating and keep you from meeting your goals. These are the basic principles required to successfully set your goal and improve leadership development.
- Commitment – How committed are you to your goal? Are you willing to make sacrifices to achieve it? Will you persevere no matter what obstacles are thrown in your way? No matter how difficult your goal is, if you’re determined, then you’ll achieve it. If not, then you’re more likely to give up when faced with issues or delays. You need to desire the goal and believe you can achieve it.
- Clarity – A goal needs to be specific. You don’t want to just increase your income. You want to increase your income by 20 percent in two years. If a goal isn’t specific, it’s difficult to measure successes and obstacles. When your goal is clear and you create a path to that goal, then you’re more motivated to achieve it.
- Challenging but attainable – A goal must be challenging if you want to have the motivation and drive to complete it. If it’s a simple goal that requires little effort, then you don’t have the feeling of success that comes with achieving a challenging task. At the same time, the goal must be attainable. Don’t set a goal to be the president of the United States in a year if you have no political connections or experience. Instead, set a goal to become involved with politics and use these goals as a stepping stone to the Oval Office.
- How Complex is the Goal – As we said before, the goal must be challenging, but it doesn’t have to be complex. There are many goals you can complete with a few steps, but others, especially the ones that create the highest degree of success are complicated. They can take years to achieve, and you need to create steps and milestones along the way to keep yourself motivated.
- Feedback on Goal Setting – Personal development isn’t easy but having someone to confide in and provide you positive and negative feedback helps you achieve your goals. If you don’t have someone to help, don’t be afraid to be your own critic. Keep a journal of your progress and go over it now and then to see how far you’ve come and if you’re on track.
Leadership and Personal Development
You have everything you need to be the best version of yourself. If you have the drive and the mindset then there is nothing you can’t achieve. We hope you take this guide to heart, and it helps you bring about the change needed in your life.
If you have difficulty completing or setting up your goals, consider one of our professional courses. We have changed the lives of thousands of people for the better. Our proven methods are designed to take the creativity and motivation inside you and bring them to the forefront, so you can achieve your goals and attain the success you deserve.